[ndbug] OpenBSD fonts

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Wed Aug 26 13:27:59 EDT 2015

Greetings NDBug.

I spent the last week porting a bunch of fonts to OpenBSD.  Well, a
bunch would be an understatement.

queair.net/obsd

There are 70-something fonts, a bunch of which are Google Noto fonts.  I
raise the issue on this list specifically since there are a lot of
languages common to South Asia.  I passed on languages with >1m
speakers, and needless to say, there are a lot of languages in India
still :)

On that note, if you are running OpenBSD, preferably with a recent
build, please test some of them out if you are interested.  These are
just typefaces to use in applications like LibreOffice, and
synchronizing with keyboards, etc., is a whole other issue.

I do have one port in the queue with OpenBSD (junicode), but at this
point, I'm more interested in seeing if there's a user-base for them.
When/if junicode is accepted, I'll start submitting the others.

Several ports might not have full license information and other pieces,
but they should all be operational.

To install, just download the tgz file and place in /usr/ports/fonts

Then extract them:

$ tar zxvf <fontname>.tgz

A /usr/ports/fonts/<fontname> directory will appear.

$ cd <fontname>

then install:

$ make install

The font should automatically appear in LibreOffice or in any similar
application.

Thanks, and let me know!