[ndbug] Home networking issue

Hrishikesh Muruk hrishim at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 07:28:05 PDT 2015

Hello

I have a network related issue. It is not BSD related since none of the
Wifi routers run BSD but I am still hoping to get some help from
experienced networking folks here.

I have two internet providers (yes "the IT capital of the country" and
cannot get stable internet from a single provider) and therefore two wifi
routers.

One of my machines - a FreeNAS server (ok some BSD involved) - is given a
static IP of 192.168.1.103 and connects to the router through network
cable. All other devices get their IP dynamically.

Here is the problem:

For Wifi Router1 I have configured its IP as 192.168.1.1
For Wifi Router2 I have configured its IP as 192.168.1.2

When changing networks I physically re-connect the FreeNAS machine to the
other router.

When both routers are on simultaniously, Router2 automatically
re-configures itself to 192.168.2.2 - I guess it is trying to avoid
conflicts with Router1.

But FreeNAS box becomes inaccessible via Router2 (I physically change its
connection but its static IP remains 192.168.1.103).

Is there some way I can keep the FreeNAS machine on a static IP but
seemlessly connect to it from either router when I want to (I am ok with
switching cables since it is very accessible

Just incase it matters Router1 is an Apple Airport Extreme and Router2 is
an Asus RT-N14U

Thanks
Hrishi