[ndbug] video: BSD for Linux Users

N.J. Thomas njt at ayvali.org
Tue Sep 22 17:44:12 EDT 2015

* Siju George <sgeorge.ml2 at gmail.com> [2015-09-22 05:30:41+0530]:
> I got kicked out from many Linux groups trying compare BSD with
> Linux:-) With the FreeBSD+Docker, and FreeBSD+Netflix many will jump
> from Linux to BSD on the servers side also

I'm not as bullish on FreeBSD + {Netflix, WhatsApp, Docker, -system}.

While the presence of BSD in those projects (or in the case of systemd,
absence) is laudable, and I'm really glad people are using it as talking
points to get folks interested in BSD, I don't think it will bring waves
of users over, like say Rails did for Ruby way back in 2004/2005.

Don't get me wrong, I hope BSD does get it's killer app one day, but
it's more likely that new users will come in as a slow trickle. It's
much better that way, IMO, this way we don't have an "Eternal
September".

Thomas