[ndbug] moved NDBUG server to India

N.J. Thomas njt at ayvali.org
Mon Jul 18 16:44:24 PDT 2016

hi everyone,

Just a quick infrastructure update. I moved indraprastha (the server
hosting ndbug.in) to Digital Ocean's Bangalore datacenter.

It was in their NYC datacenter previously, and I had meant to move it to
Singapore, but then I heard about the opening of the Indian DC, so I
waited for that.

All in all, it was relatively painless. The steps involved:

    - I shutdown the droplet
    - took a snapshot of the host (be careful at this step, when the
      snapshot is created, it will turn the original droplet back on),
      which took about a minute
    - made the snapshot available in the Bangalore datacenter, which
      took about 3 minutes
    - spun up a new droplet in the Bangalore DC with the snapshot
    - updated DNS
    - fixed IP addresses on the droplet itself (I hard-coded it into
      /etc/rc.conf, I don't use DO's FreeBSD tools)
    - updated my mail relays to recognize the new IP

Total downtime was about 10 minutes, I think I could have brought that
down to 5 minutes if I had rehearsed and practiced properly.

Using random looking glass hosts, ping times from Singapore to the site
are around 50ms now, and from Mumbai, around 27ms. (I tried Tata
Communication's looking glass server, and everything they have (Chennai,
Kochi, Mumbai) takes around 187ms, but I'm thinking they might have some
weird routes going outside of the country or something.)

Overall, I am very impressed with Digital Ocean's interface, very simple
and easy to use. (I should mention that I have no affiliation with them
apart from being a customer.)

Lemme know if you see any weirdness.

thanks,
Thomas