[ndbug] greetings

N.J. Thomas njt at ayvali.org
Thu Jul 9 19:31:22 EDT 2015

* N.J. Thomas <njt at ayvali.org> [2015-07-09 19:16:58-0400]:
> I am curious to hear about list members' technology backgrounds, how
> and if they use BSDs, which BSDs or even future plans to use BSDs.

I'm a sysadmin by trade. Started off as a Solaris admin way back when.
As the modern FOSS Unices took over the world, I slowly transitioned to
a Linux sysadmin, which is funny because all my personal servers run
BSD.

I run FreeBSD on all my own servers. My current home project is setting
up some storage servers to provide backups, it's been interesting
playing with ZFS and snapshots.

I was at a small startup a few years ago when pf was first released, so
I rushed to install that version of OpenBSD on the company firewalls,
and I loved it. I still run pf on all my BSD boxes, and I will switch my
null-client Postfix boxes to OpenSMTPD soon.

I'm a big fan of BSD-anything. And I'd like to see the market
penetration for BSD Unix in India be larger than it is. Lately, I've
been hearing about a lot of cool startups in the subcontinent (ClearTax,
InMobi, etc.), so that's really cool. I think one way to do this is to
increase awareness of BSD and related technologies, so hence NDBug.

One last night, BSDCan 2015 just finished, and many of the talks have
their slides/presentations posted, so do check them out:

    https://www.bsdcan.org/2015/schedule/

hth,
Thomas