[ndbug] Tor relays in India

N.J. Thomas njt at ayvali.org
Wed Oct 28 16:01:39 PDT 2015

* George Rosamond <george at ceetonetechnology.com> [2015-10-26 20:21:42-0400]:
> Our main project is porting Tor Browser to OpenBSD, which is now in its
> sixth release.

hi George,

Some random questions from a Tor n00b:

    - What is the state of Tor Browser on FreeBSD? I saw some chatter on
      IRC about the version in ports, but I'm not sure if it is
      usable in its current state

    - is it possible to run a tor node at arbitrary times? eg. Suppose I
      want to run my node on a given day between 3pm and 6pm, is it
      possible to do that?

    - How does the software at https://torstatus.rueckgr.at/ determine
      what country a given node is in? Is that self-reported, or do they
      determine it by AS or something else?

I'm trying to find a good hosting provider in India, but they all
are either too expensive or seem like fly-by-night operations. I might
just set something up now with a fast connection to an Indian AS and
then move it later.

thanks,
Thomas