[ndbug] Tor relays in India

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Fri Oct 30 06:06:33 PDT 2015

N.J. Thomas:
> * George Rosamond <george at ceetonetechnology.com> [2015-10-28 19:07:07-0400]:
>>> What is the state of Tor Browser on FreeBSD?
>>
>> Hmmm.. I don't think there's anything in FreeBSD ports except for the
>> Tor application itself (security/tor and security/tor-dev
>
> Right you are.

I'd have to check, but I have vague memories of something in FreeBSD
ports a long long time ago... a tor browser of sorts.

>> At some point, we'd love if someone took our OpenBSD implementation
>> and port to FreeBSD.
>
> Hmm. My C++-fu is not very good. How hard/bad was it porting tor-browser
> to OpenBSD?

A headache... a huge one.  But it should be easier doing FreeBSD from
the OpenBSD port.  We should talk offlist if you're interested.

>>> is it possible to run a tor node at arbitrary times?
>>
>> Interesting.  There's a few 'Accounting' options in the torrc:
> [...]
>> But for something that specific you might just want to use cron(8)
>
> Okay, just wanted to make sure it was okay to have an ephemeral relay
> node. Cron would work just fine.

Ephemeral relays are fine... it's just you will get less usage.  Better
to set lower bandwidth than to just be on inconsistently.  Although I
don't think a 'hibernating node' loses 'credibility'  Look at the man
page for Accounting details.

>>> I might just set something up now with a fast connection to an
>>> Indian AS and then move it later.
>>
>> Ahh... that's one approach.
>> Anyone else have data center/colo input in India?
>
> I got some off-list mail recommending that I go with a non-Indian site
> for now (albeit one close to an Indian AS), so I'll do that for now.

That's cool.  Ping me offlist if you need any input.