[ndbug] indraprastha upgrade

Philip Paeps philip at trouble.is
Sun Nov 8 17:37:27 PST 2020

On 2020-11-07 09:22:17 (+0800), N.J. Thomas wrote:
> The box that hosts the NDBUG website and mailing lists, indraprastha,
> will be taken down for a bit while I wipe and reinstall the OS.
>
> It's currently running FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE, we are just reinstalling
> to upgrade to ZFS. This is one of the last of my machines that is
> still running UFS.
>
> (Interestingly, we've only ever done in-place upgrades for the last
> five years. I'm really happy freebsd-upgrade has worked flawlessly
> during that time.)

Do your future self a favour while you're doing that and make the
freebsd-boot partition a little larger than you may be accustomed to.  I
suggest 512k.

I spent some quality time last week upgrading FreeBSD.org infrastructure
to a later head and the bootblocks no longer fit in the ~108k we used in
the cluster install script.  I don't know where that value came from but
I'm sure other people use it too.

The 12.2-RELEASE bootblocks will fit just fine in 108k but eventually
you'll want to upgrade to 13 when it's released.  Your future self will
thank your past self at that time if the freebsd-boot partition is large
enough.

Philip

--
Philip Paeps